This popcorn is seriously THE BEST! It’s the perfect combination of sweet and salty. We just can’t get enough.
This popcorn will be making a regular appearance our snack rotation!
- ½ cup popcorn kernels
- 3 tablespoons oil
- ½ stick butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup corn syrup
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 300°. Line a baking sheet with foil and grease with cooking spray.
- Combine popcorn kernels and oil in a 4-6 quart pot and cook covered over medium heat. Leave the lid slightly ajar to allow steam to release. When the popping slows, remove the pot from the heat and set aside, leaving the lid on so the popcorn stays warm.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add brown sugar and corn syrup and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a rolling boil and then reduce the heat to low and let simmer untouched for 5 minutes.
- After the 5 minutes, give it a quick stir and then continue to cook for another 5 minutes, stirring briefly every 30 seconds until the mixture is a deep golden color.
- Turn off the heat and slowly whisk in the salt, baking soda, and vanilla, being very careful as the mixture will bubble when you add the baking soda.
- Pour the caramel mixture over your popcorn and quickly mix together as thoroughly as possible, being sure to scrape the caramel off the bottom of the pot.
- Spread the popcorn onto the prepared baking sheet in an even layer. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring a couple of times throughout the duration.
- Remove the popcorn from the oven and allow it to cool before breaking it apart.
If you try mine this be sure to tag #bakingwith_kay in your post so I can see!
Don’t forget to subscribe! You wouldn’t want to miss any future goodies!