- 4 eggs, whites and yolks separated (keep the whites in the fridge until you reach the final step)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- In a bowl, use a mixer to beat the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add in the 1/3 cup of sugar and continue to beat the mixture until the sugar is fully dissolved. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, over high heat, combine the milk, heavy cream, and nutmeg and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat as soon as it starts to boil.
- Temper the hot mixture into the egg mixture by slowly adding a couple of ladles of the hot mixture into the eggs and whisking rapidly to prevent the eggs from cooking. Add everything back into the pan and bring the mixture up to at least 160°.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla and almond extracts. Pour into a medium mixing bowl and set in the fridge to chill.
- Once the mixture has fully chilled, retrieve your egg whites and beat them in a mixing bowl until soft peaks form. Add in the tablespoon of sugar and continue to beat until the eggs get stiff. Whisk the egg whites into your chilled mixture.
- The final product tends to be a little thicker than some people prefer, so you can dilute it with a little extra milk before serving if desired
I hope you enjoyed this recipe! Don’t forget to subscribe for future updates!